The theme of this year’s National Fitness Day is ‘Your Health is for Life’, encouraging people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds to celebrate the life-long physical and mental benefits of being active.
Keeping students active is crucial for their physical health, cognitive development, and overall well-being. To celebrate National Fitness Day, here are five top tips to promote physical activity in students:
- Find Activities Students Enjoy: The key to staying active is to engage in activities that you genuinely enjoy. Whether it’s dancing, swimming, hiking, playing a sport, or simply taking long walks, finding activities your students enjoy makes it easier for them to remain enthusiastic and engaged.
- Limit Screen Time: Set limits on the amount of screen time (TV, phones/tablets, and computers) each day. Ensure that students have ample opportunities for physical activity during breaks and rest periods. Encourage outdoor play, provide sports equipment like balls and skipping ropes, and create a safe and engaging environment.
- Encourage Friendly Competition: Organise school-wide or class-level physical activity challenges, competitions, or events. These can be motivating and fun ways to encourage students to stay active.
- Promote Movement: Incorporate movement into the learning process. Instead of sitting at desks for extended periods, encourage students to stand, stretch, or take short physical breaks during lessons. Teachers can also use movement-based games or
- Recognition and Rewards: Recognise and reward students who excel in physical activities or demonstrate a commitment to an active lifestyle. Awards, certificates, or incentives can motivate students to stay active.
At Trans World Educational Experiences, we are proud to work with schools throughout the academic year to support physical activity through sports tours and events across the globe.
If you’re looking to kickstart your next school sports tour, click here to take a look at what’s possible and contact us using our online form and our team of travel experts will be happy to help.